[Snort-users] NFS file copy vs. snort ???

Michael D Schleif mds at ...9577...
Sun Sep 5 10:35:09 EDT 2004

One of my main systems is connected to several NFS v3 servers; and, this
box also runs snort.

Copies, like the following examples, are excruciatingly slo-o-o-o-w-w-w,
especially when the file is large (e.g., 250 MiB.)

	cp -a /remote/tmp/* .
	cp -a * /remote/tmp/

By `slow', I mean in the two-digit kbps ;<

I do not find anything interesting in `vmstat', nor in
/var/log/{kern.log,messages,syslog}, nor is snort logging anything, in
this regard.

My first clue was noticing snort in `top' alternating in the top 2 or 3
positions.  Stopping snort on *both* ends of the connection results in file
transfers that meet my expectations.

What is going on with this?

How can I configure snort to *not* interfere with NFS?

What do you think?

--
Best Regards,

mds