[Snort-users] mysql on another box?

Lance Boon lboon at ...11799...
Wed Sep 1 19:47:02 EDT 2004

That error tells me that you didn't compile snort with mysql support.
How did you configure snort? It should have been configured with
"./configure --with-mysql=/usr/local/mysql" You can have snort running
on another box, you will need to make sure that your snort sensor has
privileges on the mysql server

-----Original Message-----
From: snort-users-admin at lists.sourceforge.net
[mailto:snort-users-admin at lists.sourceforge.net] On Behalf Of Larry
Wichman
Sent: Tuesday, August 31, 2004 9:28 AM
To: snort-users at lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: [Snort-users] mysql on another box?

I am trying to get snort to log to another box that has MySQL on it and
the box that has Snort does not have MYSQL. It does not seem to be
logging to it. I get the following error when  I start Snort w/ snort -c
/etc/snort/snort.conf:

Initializing rule chains...

database: compiled support for ( )

database: configured to use mysql

database: 'mysql' support is not compiled into this build of snort

Do I still have to have MYSQL running on the sensor even though tit is
logging somewhere else?

Here is what I put in snort.conf to tell it to log to the other box:

output database:log,mysql,user=snort password=Ournetwork* dbname=root
host=10.25

5.55.11

Cheers,
Lawrence A. Wichman