[Snort-users] Using snort on a per-instance basis....archive databases

Shawn Kottke skottke at ...11993...
Fri Oct 29 07:50:29 EDT 2004

An easy way to do it would be to save the database off somewhere perhaps
in a directory with the clients name where the data was collected and
then create a new database.

-----Original Message-----
From: snort-users-admin at lists.sourceforge.net
[mailto:snort-users-admin at lists.sourceforge.net] On Behalf Of Jason
Humes
Sent: Friday, October 29, 2004 8:31 AM
To: 'snort-users at lists.sourceforge.net'
Subject: [Snort-users] Using snort on a per-instance basis....archive
databases

Hi
I would like to know if there is someway to backup and clean the
mysql/snort
database after each use of snort...basically we've got it running on a
notebook and when a client calls with a problem we usually drop the
snort
notebook on their network for a week or so...I'm currently just using
acid
to manually delete all the alerts in between each customer, but this
takes
long and I don't really want to have to loose the data.  I would love to
be
able to archive the database after each customer deployment and clean
the
database back to a pristine state.  Can this be done?  I've got webmin
installed on this box if that helps me out at all.  Thanks.  Could I
then,
after archiving the database for customerX, pull that archive back up
and
run through acid for analysis?  Thanks.

--

Jason