[Snort-users] Reading a TCPdump file

Mark Johnston mark.johnston at ...12582...
Fri Oct 29 06:28:43 EDT 2004

Hi there,

Thanks for the reply ...

HOME_NET is defined as the IP of the address of the host e.g 10.10.10.5/32 and EXTERNAL_NET is defined as !HOME_NET. The file is the entire capture of all sessions to that box (it was inline). I didn't use the -z option in the command line.

Thanks
Mark

-----Original Message-----
From: sekure [mailto:sekure at ...11827...]
Sent: 22 October 2004 14:20
To: Mark Johnston
Cc: snort-users at lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: Re: [Snort-users] Reading a TCPdump file

Mark,

Are you HOME_NET and EXTERNAL_NET variables defined correctly?

Also, i am not exactly sure if the tcpdump contains a complete
session, or just the alerts, but if it does NOT contain the entire
session, Snort won't even look at it, unless you remove the "-z" from
the commandline (which looks like you did), and remove the "flow"
keyword from the rules.

On Thu, 21 Oct 2004 15:15:36 +0100, Mark Johnston
<mark.johnston at ...12582...> wrote:
> I'm looking at one of the honeynet scan of the month projects (#27). And
> what I'm trying to do is get snort to read the TCPdump capture file and view
> the alerts. Thus far I have configured the conf file to have the appropriate
> values and run snort against the file, however I'm not getting any generated
> alerts. I know that I should be getting some though. I also have the latest
> version of the rules and am running snort 2.2 for Fedora Core 2. The command
> that I am using is "snort -A full -c /etc/snort/snort.conf -r sotm27"

are addressed. It may not be used or disclosed except for the
purpose for which it has been sent. If you have received this
e-mail in error please notify the system administrator
postmaster at ...12582... quoting the senders address. If you are not the
intended recipient you must not use, disclose, distribute, copy,
print or rely on this e-mail and must delete the message and any
documents. Please advise immediately if you or your employer
do not consent to Internet e-mail for messages of this kind.
Unless expressly stated, opinions in this message are those of
the individual sender and not of Blue Square. Blue Square
accepts no liability or responsibility for any onward transmission
or use of e-mails and attachment having left the Blue Square domain.

This footnote also confirms that this e-mail message has been swept
 by MIMEsweeper for the presence of computer viruses. Whilst we
have taken reasonable precautions to ensure that this e-mail and
any attachments have been swept for viruses, we cannot accept
liability for any damage sustained as a result of software viruses and
would advise that you carry out your own virus checks before
opening any attachment.

www.bluesq.com