[Snort-users] only the "important stuff"

M. Shirk shirkdog_linux at ...125...
Tue Oct 26 11:33:01 EDT 2004

IDS matches signatures to network traffic on the wire. Someone could launch
an attack against your servers, however, gain no access on them. These are
not successful intrusions, just scans. I would be clear with your president
about what he wants to see in a report.

Working with snort_on_acid, you could go through all the rule sets and look
for obvious compromised traffic, such as back doors, ICMP and HTTP tunnels,
as well as traffic that would only come from a server that has opened up a
channel for an intruder to enter.

HOWEVER, now you have to take into account the applications on the servers
for company. Lets say one snort sensor only has rules that would alert to a
possibly compromised box. But, instead of a server being compromised, it has
some web application, or database application running on bizarre ports. Now
you have an automated alerting system to send email to the president.
Instead of getting day-to-day alerts, he will be getting an important list
of false positives. :-)

I second the notion of snort_on_acid, if your president wants only
SUCCESSFUL intrusions, you will need to analyze the alerts and correlate
them with host based intrusion technologies such as:

integrity checkers: aide/tripwire/osiris/samhaim
log files: syslog,secure,auth,messages
log monitors: swatch, tenshi
local *nix/Windows tools: netstat tcpview fport

Shirkdog