[Snort-users] only the "important stuff"

SN ORT snort_on_acid at ...131...
Tue Oct 26 10:18:01 EDT 2004

What?! You mean, send him all of the positive alerts?
 Impossible without human intervention/correlation.
You could move some sensors back or set some variables
that look at only important machines, or even setup
another instance of Snort that runs only custom
signatures you're sure never produce false
positives/negative..etc, but then you could very well
miss some legitimate break-ins. You could also try to
customize the IDS so that each signature is customized
to vulnerable servers. IOW, why would I want to
receive an IIS vulnerability alert when my server is
running apache? So I would set a var
$apache_servers=IPaddress(range) and then set each
Apache signature to destination = "$apache_servers",
and at the same time have the IIS signatures only
relate to IIS servers. Wow, there's a concept.

Nah, you'd have to have a brain look at those first,
and then send them to your presidente (although
products like from ISS contain correlation
capabilities)

Cheese!

Marc

Message: 9