[Snort-users] increase packet size capture problem

Keith Pachulski keithp at ...222...
Tue Oct 26 08:35:03 EDT 2004

http://www.snort.org/docs/snort_manual/node16.html#SECTION00426000000000000000

-----Original Message-----
From: Jeffrey Starin [mailto:jeffs at ...1936...]
Sent: Tuesday, October 26, 2004 11:28 AM
To: snort-users at lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: [Snort-users] increase packet size capture problem

I have a rule that captures outgoing data and logs to a seperate file.  Problem is that the data is truncated.  That is, not all the data is captured.  I am aware of the -P option to modify snaplen and also of "session" modifier, but changing these values doesn't seem to work -- I always end up with my outgoing data truncated.  I'm presuming that the data that is truncated is being put into a subsequent outing going packet and the alert that generates the first capture cannot say, "Hey, also capture all associated packets."  But I figured that's what the "session" keyword is for, but using it doesn't seem to help.

Any help much appreciated.

Thanks,

bulgin