[Snort-users] Instructions on Snort as Win2k Service?

stephane nasdrovisky stephane.nasdrovisky at ...12261...
Mon Oct 25 08:47:07 EDT 2004

Aaron Davies wrote:

> Where can I find instructions on setting up Snort as a Win2k service?
> I've tried simply calling "bin\snort /SERVICE /INSTALL -c
> etc\snort.conf", and it installed something in the registry, but when
> I go into the Services management console and try to start it, it
> fails as "Error 1067: The process terminated unexpectedly." I've tried
> to find docco on this on the website, but I'm not seeing it. Any help
> much appreciated!

I guess etc/snort.conf is a valid w2k text file with correct permission
(additionally, make sure it exists everywhere on your toysystem, who
knows from which directory snort will be executed as a service ?) and
you checked it was a valid snort configuration file. As an additional
recommendation, read the documentation (of both snort & your system. And
try to understand it).