[Snort-users] Problems Snort and Windows XP

Hayes, Scott Scott.Hayes at ...12592...
Mon Oct 25 05:31:03 EDT 2004

Steven,

Did you install Winpcap? What version did you install? I had problems with
version 3.1 and had the same problem as you have mentioned. I downgraded to
version 3.0 and all works great.

Hope this helps.

Scott

-----Original Message-----
From: Steven Watts [mailto:stewatts at ...125...]
Sent: Monday, October 25, 2004 7:00 AM
To: snort-users at lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: [Snort-users] Problems Snort and Windows XP

Hi Guys

I have come to use Snort for the first time and I can't get it to work. I am

using XP SP2 and I have downloaded the binary from:
http://download.datanerds.net/binaries/snort-1.7-win32-static.zip

I have have kept all the default settings and when I run snort -v, I get:

        --== Initializing Snort ==--

Initializing Network Interface
\Device\NPF_GenericNdisWanAdapter\Device\NPF_{A39
55445-5C9F-446B-9101-ADF5DF55692D}\Device\NPF_{3043B94A-6935-45DC-8B78-5F6AB

Then I get a windows error saying "Snort has encountered a problem and needs

to close"

Can anyone help?

Thanks in advance