[Snort-users] Snort 2.2 on Debian woody

Ferino Mardo RMardo at ...12589...
Sat Oct 23 04:44:14 EDT 2004

folks, I just installed Debian "woody" with the most basic
configurations. have also updated the kernel (the Debian way) to 2.4.19
with no problems. now I compiled, installed snort-2.2.0 and along the
way of doing a "configure" it complained of not being able to find the
necessary libpcap. so I download, compiled, installed libpcap-0.8.3 and
it got installed in "/usr/local/lib".

I have two questions:

1. for the Debian users out there is this how you made snort-2.2.0 to
compile and install?
2. for the rest, I used "/usr/local/bin/snort -c
/usr/local/etc/snort.conf -d -s -b -D" in my startup scripts. is this
the snort way to do it?

please excuse the obvious but it's been a long day reading all the fine
manuals I just don't know which is right anymore.

tia.

Rino Mardo
Network Administrator

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." -- Leonardo DaVinci

The information contained in this email and any accompanying documents
is intended for the sole use of the recipient to whom it is addressed,
and may contain information that is privileged, confidential, and
prohibited from disclosure under applicable law. If you are not the
intended recipient, or authorized to receive this on behalf of the
recipient, you are hereby notified that any review, use, disclosure,
copying, or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended
recipient(s), please contact the sender by e-mail and destroy all copies
of the original message. Thank you.