[Snort-users] Bleedingsnort: Classification & Reference URL

McCash, John John.McCash at ...10979...
Wed Oct 20 12:21:18 EDT 2004

Joel,
	Wow! Cool! Why the ^$%&%6 didn't I ever think to do that? The same thing works for the nessus references, with the new line being:

"nessus"    => array("http://cgi.nessus.org/plugins/dump.php3?id=", ""),

However I do note one oddity... There are certain alerts that still don't come up. For example I'm looking at a 'BLEEDING-EDGE IE homepage hijacking' alert from the day before yesterday, and it still has 'url' with no link in the ACID interface. Most others are OK, but there seem to be a few exceptions. Looking at the rules, they seem to be formatted OK. Any ideas?
		John

-----Original Message-----
From: snort-users-admin at lists.sourceforge.net [mailto:snort-users-admin at ...3204...ts.sourceforge.net] On Behalf Of Esler, Joel - Contractor
Sent: Wednesday, October 13, 2004 8:16 AM
To: Archibald, B. Jay @ CSW-SLC; snort-users at lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: RE: [Snort-users] Bleedingsnort: Classification & Reference URL

I am assuming you are referring to ACID in this instance? The url thing
is easy..  While Snort added the "url" feature to allow ANY Url to be
used as a reference, ACID wasn't updated to follow suit...

In your acid_conf.php there is a section entitled "Signature
references"..

You will see arrays for bugtraq, snort, cve, arachnids... And the like,
however, if you come down to your final line, change the ";" to a ","
then add the following line:

"url"       => array("http://", ""));

Underneath it will make the "url" part look right...

As far as classification goes, you have to compare classification.config
with the classification that is in the rule itself, it will classify the
rule if your rule has the "classtype:" modifier in it.

Joel Esler, GCIA