[Snort-users] compress/uncompress

Botwick, Jason (Genworth, Contractor) Jason.Botwick at ...12522...
Wed Oct 20 08:23:07 EDT 2004

I found that I had to change the following in snort-dist/src/Makefile:

LIBS = -lz -lpcre -lpcap -lm -lnsl  -lmysqlclient

LIBS = -lpcre -lpcap -lm -lnsl  -lmysqlclient -lz

Read up on linkers if you want to understand why, but the order in which you
specify libraries is important.

-----Original Message-----
From: cc [mailto:cc at ...9707...]
Sent: Wednesday, October 20, 2004 5:17 AM
To: snort-users at lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: [Snort-users] compress/uncompress

Hi,

I have read the FAQ and it did say to add the 'lz' to the
LIBS statement in the Makefile.   I even did it in the
LDFLAGS during the configure.  I am compiling Snort 2.2.0
against MySQL 4.0.21.

I still get :
gcc  -O0 -DDEBUG -g  -L/usr/local/lib -lpcre -L/usr/local/mysql/lib
-lnet -o sno
rt  codes.o debug.o decode.o log.o mstring.o parser.o plugbase.o snort.o
snprint
f.o strlcatu.o strlcpyu.o tag.o ubi_BinTree.o ubi_SplayTree.o util.o
detect.o si
gnature.o mempool.o sf_sdlist.o fpcreate.o fpdetect.o pcrm.o
byte_extract.o sfth
reshold.o packet_time.o event_wrapper.o event_queue.o
output-plugins/libspo.a de
tection-plugins/libspd.a preprocessors/libspp.a
preprocessors/flow/portscan/libp
ortscan.a preprocessors/flow/libflow.a parser/libparser.a
preprocessors/HttpInsp
ect/libhttp_inspect.a sfutil/libsfutil.a -lnet -lz -lpcre -lpcap -lm
-lnsl  -lmy
sqlclient
/usr/local/mysql/lib/libmysqlclient.a(my_compress.o): In function
`my_compress_a
lloc':
my_compress.o(.text+0xb4): undefined reference to `compress'
/usr/local/mysql/lib/libmysqlclient.a(my_compress.o): In function
`my_uncompress
':
my_compress.o(.text+0x12a): undefined reference to `uncompress'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make[3]: *** [snort] Error 1
make[3]: Leaving directory `/root/curinsts/snort-2.2.0/src'

As you can see, I do have the 'lz' in the gcc line.

Is there something else that I'm missing?

Any help appreciated.