[Snort-users] Snort/MSSQL Problems

Aaron Davies agdavi01 at ...12574...
Tue Oct 19 13:49:13 EDT 2004

I'm trying to get snort, running on Linux, to log packets to MSSQL,
running on Windows, but I get the error below on startup. I have a
sensor table in the snort db, I've verfied using isql that I can make
the odbc connection and the select query succeeds, and I've checked in
the MSSQL SQL Profiler and Query Analyzer that the query works w/o any
permissions issues. According to the SQL Profiler, snort only ever
makes the SELECT query, but it does it twice. It never gets as far as
the INSERT. The SELECT, incidentally, returns no rows, since this is
the first time I've used snort with this db. Can you give me a hand
here? I've tried researching this issue online, and seen no evidence
of a solution yet. Thanks!

ERROR:
  When this plugin starts, a SELECT query is run to find the sensor id
for the
  currently running sensor. If the sensor id is not found, the plugin
will run
  an INSERT query to insert the proper data and generate a new sensor
id. Then a
  SELECT query is run to get the newly allocated sensor id. If that
fails then
  this error message is generated.

  Some possible causes for this error are:
   * the user does not have proper INSERT or SELECT privileges
   * the sensor table does not exist

  If you are _absolutely_ certain that you have the proper privileges
set and
  that your database structure is built properly please let me know if
you
  continue to get this error. You can contact me at (roman at ...438...).

Fatal Error, Quitting..
--