[Snort-users] No alerts on ACID

Tue Oct 19 03:18:00 EDT 2004

I agree, this is answered by a basic Google search.  If you Google for
/tmp/mysql.sock snort and root around in the first page you will find
the following.  Took all of 30 seconds.  It is from the Acid FAQ
(http://www.andrew.cmu.edu/user/rdanyliw/snort/acid_faq.html), imagine
that, hehe

(D-3) Common MySQL error messages

Warning: Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket
'/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock' (111)
Warning: Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket
'/tmp/mysql.sock' (111)

MySQL has been configured to communicate over a UNIX domain socket, but
this socket file could not be found in the default directory.
Verify that the MySQL server has been started.

Verify that the mysql.sock file exists in the directory listed in the
error and confirm that the appropriate permission have been set (the
user running the MySQL daemon needs to have at least read access).
The socket file is often found in /tmp or /var/lib/mysql.

If the socket file does not exist in the directory indicated in the
error message, the location must be explicitly specified. Use the
--socket switch of the MySQL server (mysqld --socket=path_to_socket) to
set the correct socket directory or set the path in the MySQL
configuration file my.cnf as follows:
       [client]
       socket=path-for-socket-file

       [mysqld]
       socket=path-for-socket-file

Modifying the my.cnf fixes this issue for mysqld. A PHP specific fix
would involve modifying the mysql.default_socket variable in php.ini to
specify the full path to the socket file.