[Snort-users] Drifting timestamps

Martin Roesch roesch at ...1935...
Sun Oct 17 08:11:01 EDT 2004

Hi Jake,

That'd have to be the system clock on the sensor drifting, the
timestamps that Snort uses is based on a call to gettimeofday() that
libpcap performs when it receives a new packet.  Snort has no internal
time tracking mechanisms and in fact we take advantage of the fact that
libpcap gives us time data "for free" to track time inside Snort.

       -Marty