[Snort-users] Re: CAUTION: Long Rant!!! Re: [Snort-sigs] Broken 1429.2 (POLICY poll.gotomypc.com access)

Matt Kettler mkettler at ...4108...
Tue Oct 12 15:54:03 EDT 2004

At 05:42 PM 10/12/2004, Paul Schmehl wrote:
>Email lacks the ability to convey emotion.  It therefore sometimes seems
>blunt.  Either learn to accept that or prepare to be constantly offended.
>The only "attitude" I've seen in Brian is a busy expert dealing with the
>facts and not being verbose about it.

I agree wholeheartedly. It's easy to confuse a short reply for being
offhandedly dismissed or disregarded as stupid. Particularly over email.
It's really pretty hard to write a short reply without leaving the implicit
feeling of being stupid.

Usually you have to write things like:

"Oh, that's a common mistake, try this instead and it works much better.
There's also some good stuff on this in the FAQ for future reference."

instead of:
"That won't work. Do this instead. Read the FAQ."

But the second is much faster to write on a busy schedule.

I often make short-blunt replies myself and sometimes get back "why'd you
treat me like an idiot" messages..

My general reply is "I wasn't treating you like an idiot, I was in a hurry
and thus a bit terse and blunt. Sorry if the briskness offended, that
wasn't my intent. If I'd really thought you were an idiot, I would have
told you so directly."

I imagine Brian is much the same. He may be a bit unpolished in his general
emails as a result of being busy, but I imagine that any real flaming from
him would be greatly non-subtle in nature.