[Snort-users] Re: CAUTION: Long Rant!!! Re: [Snort-sigs] Broken 1429.2 (POLICY poll.gotomypc.com access)

Esler, Joel - Contractor joel.esler at ...9426...
Tue Oct 12 14:12:17 EDT 2004

However, while [1] was dripping with sarcasm and smarta** answers, I
found it to be true, useful, and <coughs>funny</coughs>

From: snort-users-admin at lists.sourceforge.net
[mailto:snort-users-admin at lists.sourceforge.net] On Behalf Of Bamm
Visscher
Sent: Tuesday, October 12, 2004 2:47 PM
To: Eric Hines
Cc: mjonkman at ...12231...; Brian; snort-sigs at lists.sourceforge.net;
snort-users at lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: [Snort-users] Re: CAUTION: Long Rant!!! Re: [Snort-sigs] Broken
1429.2 (POLICY poll.gotomypc.com access)

I'll admit to also being the type (like Brian) who abuses the sarcasm
key on his keyboard on a regular basis. Sometimes, people Some may even
consider my personality abusive  (a good friend recently joked that it's
a wonder I have as many friends as I do). I've also been on opposite
sides of heated discussions with practically everyone with a snort.org
mailing address (I think my picture may be permanently affixed to
Marty's dart board). With that said, I have to back Brian on this. These
lists have many different types of personalities, and to think flame
wars and other heated discussions aren't going to occur in such a public
forum is simply ignorant.  The important part is that the parties
involved either reconcile, agree to disagree, or whatever. Looks like
that has occurred in this case and it's unfortunate that you felt the
need to jump in and stir the pot (why the cross posts to snort-users?).

In further defense of Brian, I don't see how his response to your posts
are 'out of line'. Most of the time your posts are really just poor
attempts to pimp your proprietary product or "research paper" and while
trying to disguise it as help or advice anyway.  I think this [0] is the
post you were refering to and here [1] is Brian's response.  Read the
entire thread to get a bigger picture.  See, the problem with these
posts of yours is they are flat out wrong, yet you attempt to protray
yourself as an authority on the subject and then you get upset when
someone calls you out.

And finally, this quote from you just cracks me up, especially coming
from someone who seems to feel the neeed  to ammend a bunch of
meaningless certs and an irrelevant title to every posts.

> One thing in life you'll learn pretty quickly is that respect is
> earned, not given to you because of your status or who you are.

Bammkkkk

P.S.

BTW, this post is NOT a solicitation for you to contact me directly in
an attempt to pimp your product (again).  I shouldn't need to add this,
but you seem to have a lack of common sense in that regards.

[0]
http://www.pantek.com/library/general/lists/snort.org/snort-sigs/msg0013
3.html
[1]