[Snort-users] Re: CAUTION: Long Rant!!! Re: [Snort-sigs] Broken 1429.2 (POLICY poll.gotomypc.com access)

Bamm Visscher bamm.visscher at ...11827...
Tue Oct 12 13:26:15 EDT 2004

You're right. Eric and I probably should of kept our thoughts to
ourselves. I really felt that Eric used this as a chance to 'gang' up
on Brian (the cross post to snort-users for no apparent reason being
the straw that broke the camels back) and I thought it was relevant to
show there were others (outside of snort.org/sourcefire) who
understood Brian's position.

To clarify, loki of fatelabs is Eric Hines. So yes, those links are
relevant and the ones I assume he was commenting on.

"Hawking your warez" is acceptable in certain circumstances.  I posts
new releases and respond to what I feel are relevant posts regularly.
At other times, it's no better than spam. I personally was directly
contacted by Eric after responding to a post to snort-users. His
product had no relevance to the thread on snort-users at the time. He
merely knew I was a snort user and he hoped he could sell me his
product. IMHO, gleening email addrs and sending direct, unsolicited
email == SPAM and I didn't appreciate it (nor was I the only one).

Back on topic (yay!). I am all for better cooperation between the
community and snort.org/sourcefire.  I am thankful for the work that
is done by them and by others like you, who work on other aspects of
snort. This gives me time to work on other things for the community
too. As a community, I think we do a pretty good job. We have our ups
and downs like any other organization. With that said, a round of beer
for everyone. :)

Bammkkkk

--
sguil - The Analyst Console for NSM