[Snort-users] Snort on linux, under VMWare ESX

Jose Maria Lopez jkerouac at ...12346...
Sun Oct 10 06:59:15 EDT 2004

El jue, 07 de 10 de 2004 a las 23:06, Sam Evans escribió:
> All,
>
> I'm curious to know if anyone is running snort on a VMWare ESX
> environment?  We are investigating ways to reduce costs as well as
> share functionality by setting up a vmware esx server and using Linux
> running on one of the VM's using snort.
>
> This would be monitoring a network using a gigabit interface..
>
> Anyone tried this, or have any input?
>
> Thanks,
> Sam

Sure you can run it in VMWare, the only thing to have in mind it's
if the degradation in the network access will have any impact in
a gigabit interface. It's hard for snort to run over gigabit natively
so you should do some test to see if you can snort with gigabit in
a VMware machine.

--
Jose Maria Lopez Hernandez
Director Tecnico de bgSEC