[Snort-users] Snort Placement

Shawn Kottke skottke at ...11993...
Sat Oct 9 15:11:33 EDT 2004

Either get two and place one on the inside and one in the dmz. Or use one with three nics where one nic is capturing inside and one is capturing dmz and the last is for controlling. Or depending on the importance of the dmz do not capture there - this depends on the risk you are willing to take and able to accept.

-----Original Message-----
From: snort-users-admin at lists.sourceforge.net <snort-users-admin at ...4626...ceforge.net>
To: snort-users at lists.sourceforge.net <snort-users at lists.sourceforge.net>
Sent: Sat Oct 09 14:48:26 2004
Subject: [Snort-users] Snort Placement

I was hoping to get input on the best placement of my snort box.

This box is to be used to track traffic to the Internet from my corporate
LAN. The traffic traverses a PIX before hitting the Internet, subsequently
all outside destined traffic is NAT'd to one public IP.

If I place on the outside of the firewall - all source IP's are the NAT,
which is useless is tracking offenders on my LAN.
Placing it before the PIX - brings up some challeges ...

The PIX has a Inside, DMZ and Outside interface.

What do u think ?

Regards,

paul

Snort-users list archive: