[Snort-users] Snort not capturing data

Lance Boon lboon at ...11799...
Fri Oct 8 11:35:00 EDT 2004

What's your output line look like in your snort.conf file?

-----Original Message-----
From: snort-users-admin at lists.sourceforge.net
[mailto:snort-users-admin at lists.sourceforge.net] On Behalf Of Ravi Verma
Sent: Friday, October 08, 2004 10:43 AM
To: Shawn Kottke
Cc: snort-users at lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: Re: [Snort-users] Snort not capturing data

Dear Shawn:

I checked the value for EXTERNAL_NET and it is set to ANY.  Snort  would

not start if EXTERNAL_NET is not defined. Now the entries in snort.conf
look  as follows.

var HOME_NET [10.1.0.0/16,10.2.0.0/16,10.4.0.0]

var EXTERNAL_NET !$HOME_NET

Still Snort is not writing any data into mysql.

Regards.

Shawn Kottke wrote:

>Just looking at your snort.conf file it looks like you do not have an
>EXTERNAL_NET variable defined.
>
>Look for this line right below your "var HOME_NET any" line:
># Set up the external network addresses as well.  A good start may be
>"any" var EXTERNAL_NET any
>
>Check to make sure that "var EXTERNAL_NET any" is on a line by itself.
>Looking at what you sent it is on the same line as the remarks line.
>
>Once you better define the HOME_NET variable you will most likely want
>to set the EXTERNAL_NET variable to "!$HOME_NET" (not HOME_NET).
>
>This is a place to start.

/etc/snort/snort.conf
> [...]
-
>-------
>| memory-cap : 1048576 bytes
>+-----------------------[thresholding-global]--------------------------
-
>-------
>| none
>+-----------------------[thresholding-local]---------------------------
-
>-------
>| gen-id=1      sig-id=2523      type=Both       tracking=dst count=10
>seconds=10
>| gen-id=1      sig-id=2496      type=Both       tracking=dst count=20
>seconds=60
>| gen-id=1      sig-id=2275       type=Threshold tracking=dst count=5
>seconds=60
>| gen-id=1      sig-id=2495      type=Both       tracking=dst count=20
>seconds=60
>| gen-id=1      sig-id=2494      type=Both       tracking=dst count=20
>seconds=60
>+-----------------------[suppression]----------------------------------
-
>-------
-
>-------
>Rule application order: ->activation->dynamic->alert->pass->log
>
>        --== Initialization Complete ==--
>
>-*> Snort! <*-
>Version 2.2.0 (Build 30)
>By Martin Roesch (roesch at ...1935..., www.snort.org)
>
>Snort sucessfully loaded all rules and checked all rule chains!
>Final Flow Statistics
>,----[ FLOWCACHE STATS ]----------
>Memcap: 10485760 Overhead Bytes 16400 used(%0.156403)/blocks (16400/1)
>Overhead blocks: 1 Could Hold: (0)
>IPV4 count: 0 frees: 0 low_time: 0, high_time: 0, diff: 0h:00:00s
>    finds: 0 reversed: 0(%0.000000)
>    find_sucess: 0 find_fail: 0 percent_success: (%0.000000) new_flows:
>0
>Snort exiting
>database: Closing connection to database ""
>
>### snort.conf file ####
>#--------------------------------------------------
>#
>#   http://www.snort.org     Snort 2.1.0 Ruleset
>#     Contact: snort-sigs at lists.sourceforge.net
>#--------------------------------------------------
># $Id: snort.conf,v 1.142.2.2 2004/08/05 18:55:37 jhewlett Exp $ #
>###################################################
># This file contains a sample snort configuration.
># You can take the following steps to create your own custom
>configuration: # #  1) Set the network variables for your network #  2)
>Configure preprocessors #  3) Configure output plugins #  4) Customize
>your rule set # ###################################################
># Step #1: Set the network variables:
>#
># You must change the following variables to reflect your local
network.
>The # variable is currently setup for an RFC 1918 address space. # #
You
> [...]
>var SMTP_SERVERS $HOME_NET
>
># List of web servers on your network
>var HTTP_SERVERS $HOME_NET
>
># List of sql servers on your network
>var SQL_SERVERS $HOME_NET
>
># List of telnet servers on your network
>var TELNET_SERVERS $HOME_NET
>
># List of snmp servers on your network
>var SNMP_SERVERS $HOME_NET
>
># Configure your service ports.  This allows snort to look for attacks
>destined # to a specific application only on the ports that application
>runs on.  For # example, if you run a web server on port 8081, set your
>HTTP_PORTS variable # like this: # # var HTTP_PORTS 8081 # # Port lists
>must either be continuous [eg 80:8080], or a single port [eg 80]. # We
>will adding support for a real list of ports in the future.
>
># Ports you run web servers on
>#
># Please note:  [80,8080] does not work.
># If you wish to define multiple HTTP ports,
>#
>## var HTTP_PORTS 80
>## include somefile.rules
>## var HTTP_PORTS 8080
>## include somefile.rules
>var HTTP_PORTS 80
>
># Ports you want to look for SHELLCODE on.
>var SHELLCODE_PORTS !80
>
># Ports you do oracle attacks on
>var ORACLE_PORTS 1521
>
># other variables
>#
># AIM servers.  AOL has a habit of adding new AIM servers, so instead
of
># modifying the signatures when they do, we add them to this list of
>servers. var AIM_SERVERS
>[64.12.24.0/24,64.12.25.0/24,64.12.26.14/24,64.12.28.0/24,64.12.29.0/24
,
>64.12.161.0/24,64.12.163.0/24,205.188.5.0/24,205.188.9.0/24]
>
># Path to your rules files (this can be a relative path)
># Note for Windows users:  You are advised to make this an absolute
>path, # such as:  c:\snort\rules var RULE_PATH /etc/snort
>
># Configure the snort decoder
># ============================
>#
># Snort's decoder will alert on lots of things such as header
># truncation or options of unusual length or infrequently used tcp
>options # # # Stop generic decode events: # # config
>disable_decode_alerts # # Stop Alerts on experimental TCP options # #
>config disable_tcpopt_experimental_alerts
>#
># Stop Alerts on obsolete TCP options
>#
># config disable_tcpopt_obsolete_alerts
>#
># Stop Alerts on T/TCP alerts
>#
># In snort 2.0.1 and above, this only alerts when a TCP option is
>detected # that shows T/TCP being actively used on the network.  If
this
>is normal # behavior for your network, disable the next option. # #
>config disable_tcpopt_ttcp_alerts # # Stop Alerts on all other
TCPOption
> [...]

110,
>111
>#                  and 513
>
>preprocessor stream4_reassemble
>
># http_inspect: normalize and detect HTTP traffic and protocol
anomalies
># # lots of options available here. See doc/README.http_inspect. #
>unicode.map should be wherever your snort.conf lives, or given # a full
>path to where snort can find it. # preprocessor http_inspect: global \
>#    iis_unicode_map unicode.map 1252
>
># preprocessor http_inspect_server: server default \
>#    profile all ports { 80 8080 8180 } oversize_dir_length 500
>
>#
>#  Example unqiue server configuration
>#
>#preprocessor http_inspect_server: server 1.1.1.1 \
>#    ports { 80 3128 8080 } \
>#    flow_depth 0 \
>#    ascii no \
>#    double_decode yes \
>#    non_rfc_char { 0x00 } \
>#    chunk_length 500000 \
>#    non_strict \
>#    oversize_dir_length 300 \
>#    no_alerts
>

># rpc_decode: normalize RPC traffic
># ---------------------------------
># RPC may be sent in alternate encodings besides the usual 4-byte
>encoding # that is used by default. This plugin takes the port numbers
>that RPC # services are running on as arguments - it is assumed that
the
>given ports # are actually running this type of service. If not, change
>the ports or turn # it off. # The RPC decode preprocessor uses
generator
>ID 106 # # arguments: space separated list # alert_fragments - alert on
>any rpc fragmented TCP data # no_alert_multiple_requests - don't alert
>when >1 rpc query is in a packet # no_alert_large_fragments - don't
>alert when the fragmented
>#                            sizes exceed the current packet size
># no_alert_incomplete - don't alert when a single segment
>#                       exceeds the current packet size
>
>preprocessor rpc_decode: 111 32771
>
># bo: Back Orifice detector
># -------------------------
># Detects Back Orifice traffic on the network.  Takes no arguments in
>2.0. #
># The Back Orifice detector uses Generator ID 105 and uses the
># following SIDS for that GID:
>#  SID     Event description
># -----   -------------------
>#   1       Back Orifice traffic detected
>
>preprocessor bo
>
># telnet_decode: Telnet negotiation string normalizer
># ---------------------------------------------------
># This preprocessor "normalizes" telnet negotiation strings from telnet
>and ftp # traffic.  It works in much the same way as the http_decode
>preprocessor, # searching for traffic that breaks up the normal data
>stream of a protocol and # replacing it with a normalized
representation
> [...]
>numerous options available, please read # README.flow-portscan for help
>configuring this option.
>
># Flow-Portscan uses Generator ID 121 and uses the following SIDS for
>that GID:
>#  SID     Event description
># -----   -------------------
>#   1       flow-portscan: Fixed Scale Scanner Limit Exceeded
>#   2       flow-portscan: Sliding Scale Scanner Limit Exceeded
>#   3       flow-portscan: Fixed Scale Talker Limit Exceeded
>#   4	    flow-portscan: Sliding Scale Talker Limit Exceeded
>
># preprocessor flow-portscan: \
>#	talker-sliding-scale-factor 0.50 \
>#	talker-fixed-threshold 30 \
>#	talker-sliding-threshold 30 \
>#	talker-sliding-window 20 \
>#	talker-fixed-window 30 \
>#	scoreboard-rows-talker 30000 \
>#	server-watchnet [10.2.0.0/30] \
>#	server-ignore-limit 200 \
>#	server-rows 65535 \
>#	server-learning-time 14400 \
>#	server-scanner-limit 4 \
>#	scanner-sliding-window 20 \
>#	scanner-sliding-scale-factor 0.50 \
>#	scanner-fixed-threshold 15 \
>#	scanner-sliding-threshold 40 \
>#	scanner-fixed-window 15 \
>#	scoreboard-rows-scanner 30000 \
>#	src-ignore-net [192.168.1.1/32,192.168.0.0/24] \
>#	dst-ignore-net [10.0.0.0/30] \
>#	alert-mode once \
>#	output-mode msg \
>#	tcp-penalties on
>
># arpspoof
>#----------------------------------------
># Experimental ARP detection code from Jeff Nathan, detects ARP
attacks,
># unicast ARP requests, and specific ARP mapping monitoring.  To make
>use of # this preprocessor you must specify the IP and hardware address
>of hosts on # the same layer 2 segment as you.  Specify one host IP MAC
>combo per line. # Also takes a "-unicast" option to turn on unicast ARP
>request detection.
># Arpspoof uses Generator ID 112 and uses the following SIDS for that
>GID:
>
>#  SID     Event description
># -----   -------------------
>#   1       Unicast ARP request
>#   2       Etherframe ARP mismatch (src)
>#   3       Etherframe ARP mismatch (dst)
>#   4       ARP cache overwrite attack
>
>#preprocessor arpspoof
>#preprocessor arpspoof_detect_host: 192.168.40.1 f0:0f:00:f0:0f:00
>

># Performance Statistics
># ----------------------
># Documentation for this is provided in the Snort Manual.  You should
>read it. # It is included in the release distribution as
>doc/snort_manual.pdf #
># preprocessor perfmonitor: time 300 file /var/snort/snort.stats pktcnt
>10000
>
>####################################################################
># Step #3: Configure output plugins
>#
># Uncomment and configure the output plugins you decide to use.
General
> [...]
>#   Zeno <admin at ...4494...>
>#   Ryan Russell <ryan at ...35...>
>

>#=========================================
># Include all relevant rulesets here
>#
># The following rulesets are disabled by default:
>#
>#   web-attacks, backdoor, shellcode, policy, porn, info, icmp-info,
>virus,
>#   chat, multimedia, and p2p
>#
># These rules are either site policy specific or require tuning in
order
>to not # generate false positive alerts in most enviornments. #
># Please read the specific include file for more information and #
>README.alert_order for how rule ordering affects how alerts are
>triggered. #=========================================
>
>include $RULE_PATH/local.rules
>include $RULE_PATH/bad-traffic.rules
>include $RULE_PATH/exploit.rules
>include $RULE_PATH/scan.rules
>include $RULE_PATH/finger.rules
>include $RULE_PATH/ftp.rules
>include $RULE_PATH/telnet.rules
>include $RULE_PATH/rpc.rules
>include $RULE_PATH/rservices.rules
>include $RULE_PATH/dos.rules
>include $RULE_PATH/ddos.rules
>include $RULE_PATH/dns.rules
>include $RULE_PATH/tftp.rules
>
>include $RULE_PATH/web-cgi.rules
>include $RULE_PATH/web-coldfusion.rules
>include $RULE_PATH/web-iis.rules
>include $RULE_PATH/web-frontpage.rules
>include $RULE_PATH/web-misc.rules
>include $RULE_PATH/web-client.rules
>include $RULE_PATH/web-php.rules
>
>include $RULE_PATH/sql.rules
>include $RULE_PATH/x11.rules
>include $RULE_PATH/icmp.rules
>include $RULE_PATH/netbios.rules
>include $RULE_PATH/misc.rules
>include $RULE_PATH/attack-responses.rules
>include $RULE_PATH/oracle.rules
>include $RULE_PATH/mysql.rules
>include $RULE_PATH/snmp.rules
>
>include $RULE_PATH/smtp.rules
>include $RULE_PATH/imap.rules
>include $RULE_PATH/pop2.rules
>include $RULE_PATH/pop3.rules
>
>include $RULE_PATH/nntp.rules
>include $RULE_PATH/other-ids.rules
># include $RULE_PATH/web-attacks.rules
># include $RULE_PATH/backdoor.rules
># include $RULE_PATH/shellcode.rules
># include $RULE_PATH/policy.rules
># include $RULE_PATH/porn.rules
># include $RULE_PATH/info.rules
># include $RULE_PATH/icmp-info.rules
> include $RULE_PATH/virus.rules
># include $RULE_PATH/chat.rules
># include $RULE_PATH/multimedia.rules
># include $RULE_PATH/p2p.rules
>include $RULE_PATH/experimental.rules
>
># Include any thresholding or suppression commands. See threshold.conf
>in the # <snort src>/etc directory for details. Commands don't
>necessarily need to be # contained in this conf, but a separate conf
>makes it easier to maintain them.
># Note for Windows users:  You are advised to make this an absolute
>path, # such as:  c:\snort\etc\threshold.conf # Uncomment if needed. #

ITManagersJournal