[Snort-users] No Alerts Being Generated

Lance Boon lboon at ...11799...
Wed Oct 6 06:50:06 EDT 2004

Are you scanning a machine on the network or the snort box itself? If
you are scanning a machine on the network and snort isn't generating any
alerts try scanning the snort box itself and see if alerts are
generated. If alerts generate when you scan the snort box but not when
you scan other machines. Then it's a switch issue I would dare to bet
and you need to set up a mirror port on your switch.

-----Original Message-----
From: snort-users-admin at lists.sourceforge.net
[mailto:snort-users-admin at lists.sourceforge.net] On Behalf Of Kaplan,
Andrew H.
Sent: Tuesday, October 05, 2004 3:41 PM
To: 'Nigel Houghton'; Snort User Group (E-mail)
Subject: RE: [Snort-users] No Alerts Being Generated

Hi there --

I made the change within the snort.conf file you had suggested. I also
ran the
snort -T command
and it ran through the configuration without reporting back any errors.
Finally,
I installed NeWT,
the Windows version of Nessus, on another machine and ran several
different
tests on the snort box.
The tests I ran were portscans and the "SANS Top 20" list. After the
scans were
finished, I checked
the alert file as well as the ACID GUI. Neither one mentioned any alert
conditions taking place.

As a further test, I changed the !HOME_NET setting back to any to see if
that
made any difference.
It did not. What should I look for next?