[Snort-users] RE: Help me choose which system to run snort on.

Jim Richards jrichards at ...11930...
Tue Nov 30 07:01:02 EST 2004

2, 1GHz Processors (P3)= 1.6GHz (you loose approx 20% by going multiple processor)

1, 2GHz Processor (P4) = This is a P4 which means it should have hyper-threading.

If you go dual, you can process 2 simultaneous threads at a total of 1.6GHz.  If you go single 2GHz, you still get 2 simultaneous threads, but at 2GHz.

Jim

--__--__--

Message: 1
From: "Basselgia, Barry A Mr (NAF Atsugi)" <BABasselgia at ...12104...>
To: snort-users at lists.sourceforge.net
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2004 15:05:46 +0900
Subject: [Snort-users] Help me choose which system to run snort on.

I'm building an IDS network, I'll end up with about 6 snort sensors feeding
back to a snort server.

The snort server will be running:

Linux
mysql
apache
snort
barnyard
acid/base
open aanval

There are 2 servers available and I've been given my choice.  Basically, the
servers are the same with regard to memory and hard drives.  The difference
is that one is a dual processor system with 2 x 1 GHz processors and the
other is a single processor system with a 2 GHz processor.

I'm kind of leaning towards the dual processor system, but I wanted to see
if anyone had any suggestions before I made up my mind.