[Snort-users] Help me choose which system to run snort on.

Tue Nov 30 06:25:00 EST 2004

Good point, no more answering e-mail at 1 am for me :)

-----Original Message-----
From: Alex Butcher, ISC/ISYS [mailto:Alex.Butcher at ...11254...]
Sent: Tuesday, November 30, 2004 3:28 AM
To: Harper, Patrick; Basselgia, Barry A Mr (NAF Atsugi);
snort-users at lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: RE: [Snort-users] Help me choose which system to run snort on.

--On 30 November 2004 00:58 -0600 "Harper, Patrick"
<patrick.harper at ...11593...> wrote:

> Snort is not multi processor aware, I would go with he faster box.

Basically,
> the
> servers are the same with regard to memory and hard drives.  The
> difference
> is that one is a dual processor system with 2 x 1 GHz processors and
the
> other is a single processor system with a 2 GHz processor.
>
> I'm kind of leaning towards the dual processor system, but I wanted to
> see
> if anyone had any suggestions before I made up my mind.

Why are you planning on running Snort on the backend database server,
given
that you have 6 sensors already?

Assuming that this is unnecessary, I'd agree with the OP's assessment
than
the dual processor machine would be best; hopefully Apache and the PHP
apps
will end up running on one processor, and MySQL and barnyard on the
other.

> Thanks,
> Barry

Best Regards,