[Snort-users] Help me choose which system to run snort on.

Mon Nov 29 22:59:02 EST 2004

Snort is not multi processor aware, I would go with he faster box.

-----Original Message-----
From: Basselgia, Barry A Mr (NAF Atsugi)
[mailto:BABasselgia at ...12104...]
Sent: Tuesday, November 30, 2004 12:06 AM
To: snort-users at lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: [Snort-users] Help me choose which system to run snort on.

I'm building an IDS network, I'll end up with about 6 snort sensors
feeding
back to a snort server.

The snort server will be running:

Linux
mysql
apache
snort
barnyard
acid/base
open aanval

There are 2 servers available and I've been given my choice.  Basically,
the
servers are the same with regard to memory and hard drives.  The
difference
is that one is a dual processor system with 2 x 1 GHz processors and the
other is a single processor system with a 2 GHz processor.

I'm kind of leaning towards the dual processor system, but I wanted to
see
if anyone had any suggestions before I made up my mind.

Thanks,
Barry