[Snort-users] Can't log to MySQL after its upgrade

Senthil Prabu.S prabu333 at ...8908...
Mon Nov 29 01:46:03 EST 2004

>I just upgraded my MySQL database from version 4.0.22 to 4.1.7 and I
>am no longer able to make Snort to log to the database.

>The Snort services fail to run (the error is in the Event Viewer is:
."database: mysql_error: Can't initialize character set 33 (path:
>default)") and if I try to run it manually, I get the following
>error:
>- ----------------------------------------------------------------------
>- ------------------------------
>File 'c:\mysql\\share\charsets?.conf' not found (Errcode: 22)
>Character set '#33' is not compiled character set and is not
>specified in the 'c:\mysql\\share\Index' file
>ERROR: database: mysql_error: Can't initialize character set 33
>(path: default)
>Fatal Error, Quitting..
>- ----------------------------------------------------------------------
>- ------------------------------

If your `Index' file doesn't contain the name for the character set, your
program will display the following error message:

ERROR 1105: File '/usr/local/share/mysql/charsets/?.conf'
not found (Errcode: 2)
In this case, you should either get a new Index file or manually add the
name of any missing character sets to the current file.

SOLUTION:

  Just add the following line into "Index" file, a new row (with encoding
you can use)  : "cp1251 33"

--
HTH,

Senthil Prabu.S

If you are smart enough to know that you're not smart enough to be an
Engineer, then you're in Business.