[Snort-users] Advice on quad ethernet card

Darden, Patrick S. darden at ...710...
Fri Nov 19 12:33:11 EST 2004

I don't think this is a good idea.  You will see a lot of drops if you have
any amount of traffic at all.  If you simply must have this on one box, then
get two dual-ethernet cards, and make sure they are each on a different
internal bus, and put the two lightest trafficced networks on the same card.
That might help.

With a potential of about ~210Mbps (3*70), you shouldn't need a super-fast
disk subsystem at ~25MBps (210Mbps/8) written, but you should make it SCSI
in order to reduce CPU utilization.  The 3 network connections will take up
some cpu, snort itself will take up a bit, and if you use a large ruleset
you could be swamped (IOs for each of the cards and the disks).

I take it the 4'th nic is going to be used to send data to your remote mysql
server....  This could be the straw that breaks the camel's back.

It will be interesting to see how well this works!

--Patrick Darden
--snort, ids, cisco, unix
--linux, firewalls, security