[Snort-users] error connecting to mysql

Lance Boon lboon at ...11799...
Tue Nov 16 11:32:05 EST 2004

Are you sure that you defined all the connection information that you
need in the acid_conf.php file? That's what it looks like to me if you
were successfully able to connect to your local MySQL server "mysql -u
snort -p snort"

Subject: [Snort-users] error connecting to mysql

I followed the instructions of the setup manual one by one posted on
snort.org (at least I believe I did so) to setup Snort on Fedora core
3.
But after setting up ACID and testing
http://localhost/acid/acid_main.php

I get the following error

Error (p)connecting to DB : snort at ...274...

Check the DB connection variables in acid_conf.php

               = $alert_dbname   : MySQL database name where the
alerts are stored
               = $alert_host     : host where the database is stored
               = $alert_port     : port where the database is stored
               = $alert_user     : username into the database
               = $alert_password : password for the username

Database ERROR:Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket
'/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock' (13)

I checked to see if mysql was running  with netstat and I checked to
see if I could login to mysql as "snort" user. Both resulted positive.

I checked '/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock' to see if the file was created
and it was there, also the permission were 777 so to me looked fine.

Do you have any suggestions what the problem might be ?

Gentian