[Snort-users] Snort and barnyard status

Sean Brown sblinux at ...9344...
Fri Nov 5 20:10:08 EST 2004

On November 4, 2004 1:15 pm, Lance Boon wrote:
> What I'm looking for is an easy for users other than myself (in
> particular my boss) to be able to look at a webpage and determine the
> status of a particular snort sensor if the snort and barnyard processes
> are running. I'm not sure of the best way to handle this right now what
> I do is just ssh to the box do a ps -ef|grep snort and see both barnyard
> and the snort processes running. What I would like to be able to do is
> automate this by either having my graphing server ssh to each box, do
> the ps -ef|grep snort, and get these results back then put these results
> in a webpage to view then, maybe even send an e-mail alert if a process
> isn't running when it should be, or even have something set to start
> that process if it isn't running. But right now my main focus is just to
> get the results back to the webpage to be displayed and have this run as
> a process every min or so. Any assistance or pointers in the right
> direction would greatly be appreciated.

I run snort on my firewall, which is a OpenBSD machine. I use Net-SNMP to
monitor both. There is a simple line in the snmpd.conf to tell it what
process to monitor, and how many should be running (min/max). You can then
configure traps to send and alert you if any of them die if you wish to. Any
app that will do snmp will then be able to monitor the general health of the
system. Since this is at home right no, I just wrote a simple
superkaramba/python script to display a simple little meter on my desktop,
there are of course far more robust solutions.

-Sean Brown