[Snort-users] Problem compiling snort + mysql

Baxter, Anthony (ABAXTER) ABAXTER at ...10513...
Thu Nov 4 08:53:31 EST 2004

My syslog events are not being forwarded to a remote device.  Snort
starts to build then it stops.  Any ideas?

-----Original Message-----
From: snort-users-admin at lists.sourceforge.net
[mailto:snort-users-admin at lists.sourceforge.net] On Behalf Of
ml at ...12631...
Sent: Thursday, November 04, 2004 10:46 AM
To: snort-users at lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: [Snort-users] Problem compiling snort + mysql

Hi,

os: Mandrake 10
snort: snort-2.2.0
mysql: mysql-4.1.7

I did search the archive but none of the answers I've found helped to
fix my problem.

I want to compile snort --with-mysql

my mysql 4.1.7 sources are in /root/mysql-4.1.7 and mysql is installed
in /usr/local/mysql

I did ./configure --with-mysql=/root/mysql-4.1.7

I do see that configure finds mysql libraries:

checking for mysql... yes

Upon compiling I get the following error message:

/usr/lib/mysql/libmysqlclient.a(my_compress.o)(.text+0xbc): In function
`my_compress_alloc':
: undefined reference to `compress'
/usr/lib/mysql/libmysqlclient.a(my_compress.o)(.text+0x13a): In function
`my_uncompress':
: undefined reference to `uncompress'hints
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make[3]: *** [snort] Error 1
make[3]: Leaving directory `/root/snort-2.2.0/src'
make[2]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/root/snort-2.2.0/src'
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/root/snort-2.2.0'
make: *** [all] Error 2

I added LDFLAGS = "-lz" before running configure but no luck. Still same
error message.

I've figured maybe maybe something in the source is not right so I've
installed mysql libraries from the RPM package. Same outcome when
compiling.

Any pointers and tips are appreciated.