[Snort-users] Tagging and Deprecation of Activate/Dynamic rules

Jeremy Hewlett jh at ...1935...
Mon Nov 1 07:28:36 EST 2004

On Sat, Oct 30, Eric Hines wrote:
> The Snort 2.0 book talks about the deprecation of the
> Activate/Dynamic action through the use of Tagging. However, both of
> these are still described in the Snort 2.0 HTML manual on the
> snort.org site.

Bmc and I have been updating the Snort manual, and one of the changes
are moving Activate/Dynamic to a "deprecated" section. The changes in
the manual will be available starting with the Snort 2.3 release.

> Has a version been announced or identified where Activate/Dynamic
> will be officially removed? Will it be gone in the next release?

No version has been announced, and it will not be gone in the next
version. You should move forward with the assumption that this will be
removed in the near future, however.