[Snort-users] Snort 2.1.3rc1 core dump

Dirk Geschke Dirk_Geschke at ...1344...
Thu May 27 00:11:11 EDT 2004

Hi Gary,

> This GDB was configured as "sparc-sun-solaris2.8"...
> Core was generated by `/local/sbin/snort -dvezoDi qfe0 -c
> /private/etc/snort/etc/snort.conf -l /v'.

this sounds a like a out-of-memory problem. Could you try to
monitor the memory usage of snort until it dies? I guess one
of the mallocs fails to allocate memory. In this case it seems
to be part of the stream4 preprocessor:

#3  0x0006f058 in CreateNewSession ()
#4  0x0006cdc4 in ReassembleStream4 ()

In addition: Could you monitor the whole memory consumption
of your system? Are you using a database on the same machine?
Especially MySQL is a memory killer...

Best regards

Dirk