[Snort-users] Snort and high performance networks

snort user snortuser at ...125...
Fri May 21 11:21:02 EDT 2004

Chris,

Sorry I think may have confused people by  using  double negative when I
said 800 Mb/s is not impossible. I agree 800 Mb/s is totally possible. It
just requires dealing with the interrupts and a lot of fine tuning . I have
looked into this and I an using a libpcap-mmap version with a buffer at the
NIC. Also the kernel has been modified so that it will only get interuppted
once and then packets will fill the buffer until polled. Once the polling
has happened interupts are again enabled for the NIC.

BUT, when all rules and preprocessors are enabled snort cannot handle this.
The main bottle neck actually appears to be in snort itself . I have even
gone so far as to set the affinity (possible now in the 2.6.x kernel) for
snort to its own processor. It still pegs 100% of the processor and this is
on a lightning fast P4. Now if I drastically cut down the rules and remove
some preprocessors or allocate them enoumous amounts of memory I can get
close to 800 Mb/s .

SCAMPI was able to get snort to run in the mulit-gigE but take a look at
what this required by a large team of PHD networking and security
professionals to achevieve this. They even say snort on a P4 cannot handle
more than 350 Mb/s in a somewhat default configuration.   And this was a
year and a half project.
http://www.ist-scampi.org/publications/papers/sourdis-fccm2004.pdf

Three research states  the bottle neck is the pattern matching in snort, and
this is the reason it cannot handle the high speeds.

Id still like to hear if anyone is actaully acheiving gigE speeds? And can
actuallly state what technology and mods youd did you achieve this.

-- UoC --