[Snort-users] Snort and high performance networks

SN ORT snort_on_acid at ...131...
Fri May 21 11:15:07 EDT 2004

Are you guys ACTUALLY running traffic at 800Mbps or
even 2-3 Gbps? I mean what application or server
process that much data on the line? This dood stated
he had an OC-whatever pumping 30Gbps, and Chad asked a
very appropriate question as to how on earth anyone
would Snort that line short of buying a machine with
an OC-3 $$ (CHA-CHING!) interface stuck in it. Most
people would use Sniffer with a WAN interface and
network fiber taps to get "quick snapshots".

Back to the 3-4Gbps line, you have 10Gbps interfaces
deployed already? How exactly are you seeing 3-4Gbps
traffic, and is it steady and what applications use
that? I mean most switches see that kind of total
backbone traffic and you can actually use switch-based
IDS (like the one from Cisco)...unless of course you
have a 10Gbps backbone, but to where does that much
traffic travel?

Cheese!

Marc