[Snort-users] Ignoring arbitrary ports for certain rules

Matt Kettler mkettler at ...4108...
Thu May 20 09:57:02 EDT 2004

At 06:36 AM 5/20/2004, AJ Butcher, Information Systems and Computing wrote:
>var P2P_PORTS [5541,6346:6352,6881:6884]
>
>and then use something like:
>
>alert tcp any !P2P_PORTS <> $HOME_NET !P2P_PORTS ...
>
>I can't seem to find any syntax (spaces, commas, square brackets) to allow
>this, and in fact, I suspect it isn't possible. Can anyone confirm or deny
>this?

I can confirm it's not possible. IP addresses can have comma-delimited
discontinuous lists, but ports cannot.

You can do a port, a range or a negation of either a port or a range, but
that's it.

The legal syntax is documented in section 2.2.4 of the manual:
http://www.snort.org/docs/snort_manual/node11.html#SECTION00324000000000000000