FW: [Snort-users] Flex-Response, anyone using it?

IDont ThinkSo billygates_sux at ...125...
Thu May 20 08:34:04 EDT 2004

   Paul's an idiot!  As usual nothing of value in his writing.

   Flexresp works well, as all it needs to do is send out a reset packet (or
icmp unreachable or such) if a certain condition is met.  And yes, if you
write a rule to send a reset packet when syn packet on port 25 arrives it
will send one out and block the connection.  HOWEVER, you should not use
flexresp with normal snort smtp rules, as mail servers do not like
connections being reset while it is receiving a msg.  As paul only uses this
only to torment admins with less knowledge than him (I don't know how that
is possible) he cannot testify to its use in a real environment.  If they
were smarter they might just track his ass down and beat him senselessly.

   Flexresp is certainly not an IPS solution, but its nice on a limited
scale.   And though I said I don't recommend it, you could write a snort
rule that uses regex to detect the string "On Behalf Of Paul Schmehl" and
reset that waste of bandwidth!