[Snort-users] SnortCenter-Acid-SuSE byte_test issue

Mike Feetham mike.feetham at ...9502...
Wed May 19 12:56:08 EDT 2004

Hi folks,

I've been trying to get Snort running with SnortCenter and ACID on SuSE 9.0,
but running into some issues.  I used Steven Scott's Implementation guide
for Redhat 9.0 for guidance as much as possible.

Everything has loaded fine, and I got everything installed and configured up
to the point where I tell SnortCenter what rules to use on the sensor.  I
selected "Use Default Active Snort Ruleset" and pushed the config to the
sensor with no problems (also configured the home_net and external_net
variables).

When I tell SnortCenter to start the sensor, the sensor kicks back the
following error:

ERROR: ERROR /etc/snort/snort.eth0.conf (444): Bad arguments to byte_test:
Fatal Error, Quitting..

At first I was just going to disable the rule so I could continue testing,
but the same error is coming up for just about every rule that includes
"byte_test".

The rules have not been modified and were downloaded through SnortCenter on
May 17.

Has anyone seen this, or have any suggestions?

Versions:
SuSE 9.0
Snort 2.1.3RC1