[Snort-users] future IPv6 version

Matt Kettler mkettler at ...4108...
Tue May 18 12:46:09 EDT 2004

At 12:06 PM 5/18/2004, Rowland, Krisa W ERDC-ITL-MS Contractor wrote:
>I know that as of now Snort will not handle IPv6 traffic - but do you
>think there will be a future release that will?

Almost certainly.

There's been small bits and pieces of ipv6 work (an experimental decoder)
in the past, but it's all been beta releases and test code. I suspect that
as ipv6 becomes more popular it will become more of a development priority
and eventually become a reality. However, for now IPv6 is somewhat
uncommon, making the demand for it relatively low.

It's also a very substantial amount of work to implement, so even if it's
in-progress right now we may not realize it because there's so much
groundwork to be done before any kind of release is remotely worthwhile.

Announcement of the old experimental decoder (did not have rule language
support, just decode):

http://seclists.org/lists/focus-ids/2002/Dec/0069.html