[Snort-users] snort dropping 48%

Jon Lyons jlyons30 at ...131...
Mon May 10 07:24:06 EDT 2004

I saw the same issue when I tried to update to a faster box(p4 desktop machine), and new release of FreeBSD. I didn't spend much time on it, ended up just moving the hard drive to an older system(P3), so I don't believe it's a snort/os issue, but a hardware issue.

-----Original Message-----

From: Sheahan, Paul [mailto:Paul.Sheahan at ...2218...]

Sent: Thursday, May 06, 2004 4:04 PM

To: sgt_b; snort-users at lists.sourceforge.net

Subject: RE: [Snort-users] snort dropping 48%

Thanks again, your tips were very helpful. You are right; I disabled a lot of stuff just for testing purposes. I plan to put everything back in once I figure out the packet loss issue. Couple of things I've done:

1) I just upgraded to the new libpcap released yesterday and rebooted for fun

2) Moved -N to the end of my startup script.

Still 49% packet loss using only one rule file with about 400 content-type rules.