[Snort-users] Snort sensor and mysql setup

Lance Boon lbtf73_99 at ...131...
Mon May 10 07:23:48 EDT 2004

I'm having a problem getting snort Version 2.1.2
(Build 25)set to log to a remote mysql server, I've
followed Patrick Harpers guide in setting up the
apache, mysql server, now I want the sensor setup on a
seperate machine to log back to the mysql/apache
server. I know where the problem lies, just unsure on
how to correct it.

ERROR: database: mysql_error: Access denied for user:
'snort at ...11780...' (Using password: YES)
Fatal Error, Quitting..

I understand that snort can't login to the remote
mysql server, If I try to enter the following

[root at ...11781... snortcenter]# mysql -h10.0.16.16
-usnort -p snort
Enter password:
ERROR 1045: Access denied for user: 'snort at ...11780...'
(Using password: YES)

If I would login to the mysql server directly and

SET PASSWORD FOR snort at ...11780...=PASSWORD
'new_password');

Then grant the permissions that are needed:

grant CREATE, INSERT, SELECT, DELETE, UPDATE on
snort.* to snort at ...11780...;

grant CREATE, INSERT, SELECT, DELETE, UPDATE on
snort.* to snort;

Would that take care of my problem?

If anybody has a better suggestion for setting this up
any assistance would be greatly appreciated, I'm using
snort Version 2.1.2 on Fedora core 1. Eventually I
would like to have 6 sensors logging to this database.
But right now just need to get the one working.

Thanks
Lance