[Snort-users] snort dropping 48%

Sheahan, Paul Paul.Sheahan at ...2218...
Fri May 7 08:52:13 EDT 2004

I just performed a test. I'm running Snort 2.0.5 on RH Linux 8.

If I startup snort with -N and the default rules enabled, then NO
directories are created. If I then go into snort.conf and add my custom
"my.rules", then run snort again with the SAME script, directories are
then created!

This looks like a bug in Snort as the rules shouldn't determine whether
Snort creates the log directories. Thoughts from anyone?

I'll play around with my custom rules to see if I can narrow the issue
down further.

-----Original Message-----
From: Josh Berry [mailto:josh.berry at ...10221...]
Sent: Friday, May 07, 2004 9:19 AM
To: Sheahan, Paul
Cc: snort-users at lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: Re: [Snort-users] snort dropping 48%

I have had no problems running snort on Gigabit once I tuned the system.

One of the biggest differences was disabling the log directory creation
with -N, and completely removing the -l switch.  Using -l with -N
doesn't
make sense, isn't that like saying log, don't log?

I also found information on tuning the Linux filesystem, and tuning the
network cards.  It helps to use a NIC capable of using NAPI.  It sounds
as
though you might have issues with the NIC drivers.  If it is not the
drivers you could try using the MMAP version of libpcap at:
http://public.lanl.gov/cpw/.

I also have a custom kernel that I stripped everything out of that
wasn't
completely necessary and then added performance enhancing patches for
the
scheduler, the low-latency patches and pre-emptive patches.

If you are running on a dual processor system you could set the CPU
affinity for the Snort process.