[Snort-users] normal vs. malicious icmp echo

Milo Velimirovic milov at ...1467...
Thu May 6 12:53:04 EDT 2004

The OP asked a legitimate question. It is quite possible to embed data
in the payload of an ICMP packet. To suggest that there is no
difference between ordinary and malicious ICMP packets except for the
way in which they are put to use really underestimates the capabilities
and/or the creativity of the dark side.

It's possible to use ICMP echo request/reply packets to create a
communication channel, for example nemesis-icmp. Also our friends at
Phrack and their project Loki.

Last I checked there is an entry in the icmp rules to detect nemesis
but not any that identify themselves as detecting loki.

--Milo