[Snort-users] Log file owned by root problem

sgt_b sgt_b at ...11733...
Thu May 6 12:09:02 EDT 2004

Hi Dan,

While the -u and -g switches tell snort to drop to those privileges, it
does not do anything for the permissions on the logging directory. Keep
in mind that only root can write to the default logging dir
/var/log/snort. I'm not sure if this will work, but you might want to
try changing the logging directory to one that user snort has
permissions to write to (ie `snort -c /etc/snort/snort_eth0/snort.conf
-i eth0 -u snort -g -l /path/to/dir').