[Snort-users] Snort Rule Downloading - Working now! (NOT!!!) (update use -CURRENT for 2.1.2)

McCash, John John.McCash at ...10979...
Tue May 4 11:08:09 EDT 2004

Brian (Vogle),
	The email Brian Casewell sent me was in response to a direct email inquiry on my part. I'm not sure he's been following snort-users recently. In any case, I'll copy him on this note and, for the record, here's a copy of the email he sent me:

On Tue, May 04, 2004 at 09:39:20AM -0500, McCash, John wrote:
> I posted this to snort-users and snort-rules, but just in case
> you're behind on that... It appears that the rules in the download
> area for snort 2.1.x and 2.0.x are not being properly updated.
> We're seeing updates to the .map files, but the .rules files aren't
> changing. In particular the new LSASS exploit detection rules don't
> appear to have shown up there. (I am making the assumption that such
> rules exist for 2.1.x. The rules are referenced in the .map files,
> they just don't appear in the .rules...) They are showing up in the
> -CURRENT tarball, however.

They are not being updated on purpose.  The features required for
the LSASS are not available for 2.1.0.  You need 2.1.2 for that.

If you are using 2.1.2 or 2.1.3rc1, you can use CURRENT rules without
issue.

Brian