[Snort-users] Logically truncated snortrules-snapshot tarball [was: Re: Snort Rule Downloading]

Kristofer T. Karas ktk at ...10113...
Mon May 3 10:19:08 EDT 2004

Snortty wrote:

>I just ran this oinkmaster.pl, it worked for me also!
>thanks for who ever fixed this - the unknown hero!

Unfortunately the glowing news is premature.  Yes, a new
snortrules-snapshot-2_1.tar.gz was released for everybody using a
production 2.1.x snort; and it does contain some updates and a
sid-msg.map with 2378 unique SIDs.  However, the *.rules files in the
tarball only contain 2334 unique rules.  In particular, all the new
rules that detect Sasser (e.g. 2514) are missing!

Whoever it is who maintains the downloadable rules should take a look
pronto.  Those of us *not* using the CVS version of snort are out in the
cold.

Kris