[Snort-users] Sasser.b Worm Signature and Information

larosa, vjay larosa_vjay at ...3331...
Sun May 2 21:18:03 EDT 2004

Ok,

I can now tell you the best rule so far in the snort rule set to detect this
virus is, (Trumpets please.....) NETBIOS SMB-DS DCERPC LSASS
DsRolerUpgradeDownlevelServer exploit attempt (SID: 2514). This rule most
definitely detects the sasser worm. Tomorrow should be fun!

vjl

-----Original Message-----
From: snort-users-admin at lists.sourceforge.net
[mailto:snort-users-admin at lists.sourceforge.net] On Behalf Of larosa, vjay
Sent: Sunday, May 02, 2004 10:07 AM
To: 'Mark.Schutzmann at ...10438...'
Cc: 'snort-users at lists.sourceforge.net'
Subject: RE: [Snort-users] Sasser.b Worm Signature and Information

I believe that the current worm will be detected by the following rule,

SID: 		2514
RULE MSG:	NETBIOS SMB-DS DCERPC LSASS DsRolerUpgradeDownlevelServer
exploit attempt

I have actually seen the exploits for this vulnerability triggering this
rule (three different pieces of code to be exact). So I believe that worm
will also trigger this rule when it comes knocking on the door....

Good luck!

vjl