[Snort-users] snort IDS mode and mssql

Adam Maxwell amaxwell at ...12205...
Fri Jul 30 07:56:04 EDT 2004

Hi, I have just installed snort on a laptop running

Windows 2003 Standard Server
SQL 2000 SP3a
Snort-2_2_0RC1

I have created a database called snort with a username "snort" and
password "snort". I have created the database schema, and also created a
ODBC link to the database. The snort user has db_owner rights to the
database.

When I use snort with the -c option i get an error saying can't write to
log directory, can someone tell me the correct settings in my snort.conf
file. This is what I have tried

"output database: log, mssql, dbname=snort, user=snort, host=localhost
password=snort"

The error I get is.

ERROR: Can not write access to logging directory "log". (directory
doesn't exist or permissions are set incorrectly or it is not a
directory at all)

Fatal Error, Quitting

This e-mail, including attachments, is confidential and is
 intended for view by the addressee only.

Any views, opinions and judgements expressed are
solely those of the author and may not reflect those

If you have received this message in error, or have
concerns about the use of this account, please
contact: postmaster at ...12205... .
For more information about The Elliott Group Ltd,
please visit the Web site at http://www.elliott-group.co.uk

This footnote also confirms that this e-mail message
has been swept by MIMEsweeper for the presence of
computer viruses.