[Snort-users] Snort not logging alerts.

sekure sekure at ...11827...
Thu Jul 29 12:39:01 EDT 2004

You can't do it.  Not with TCP and not the way you are trying to.

The problem is that TCP is a stateful protocol, it needs to establish
a session before it can send data.  What that means is that something
has to be listening on port 80 in this case (http), for your browser
to establish the connection, BEFORE it can send the CodeRed exploit.
Since nothing is, nothing happens...  If you are just doing this for
testing, you can download netcat and tell it to listen to port 80.
That way you'll be able to establish a connection and send the
exploit.

Otherwise you should look at some tools that can generate events
without needing to establish a session first.  Then you'll also have
to run snort WITHOUT the -z switch.