[Snort-users] Barnyard part 2

Jeff Dell jdell at ...1095...
Thu Jul 29 07:21:04 EDT 2004

Yes you are right.. I haven't woken up yet...

-----Original Message-----
From: sekure [mailto:sekure at ...11827...]
Sent: Thursday, July 29, 2004 10:07 AM
To: Jeff Dell
Cc: Esler, Joel - Contractor; snort-users at lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: Re: [Snort-users] Barnyard part 2

> If your rules are alerts and you are outputting to log_unified you will
have issues...
I don't think that's necessarily true.  According to Snort docs: "The
log file contains the detailed packet information ( a packet dump with
the associated event id )".

My sensors are configured to:
output log_unified: filename unified.log, limit 128

And barnyard is configured:
output log_acid_db: mysql, database db, server server, etc...

I found that I only need one output module for snort and one output
module for barnyard. Barnyard takes care of extracting the pertinent
information and entering it into the database, giving me the alert and
the packet payload.  If I had just output log_alert in snort.conf, or
just output alert_acid_db in barnyard the packet detail wouldn't make
it into the database.  And having two output plugins in barnyard tries
to enter the same event into it twice.

Hmmm....I think that's right....

HTH,