[Snort-users] For those of you

Esler, Joel - Contractor joel.esler at ...9426...
Tue Jul 27 08:25:42 EDT 2004

I totally agree, however, if someone feels like working on the sid/cid
joins...

From: sekure [mailto:sekure at ...11827...]
Sent: Tuesday, July 27, 2004 11:20 AM
To: Esler, Joel - Contractor
Cc: snort-users at lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: Re: [Snort-users] For those of you

Joel,

It's true that your script will trim the list of events returned by ACID
and other GUIs, but it will not do much in terms of speeding up the
searches or shrinking the database size.  You are just removing entries
from the event table, and as a result leaving a lot of orphaned events
in iphdr, tcphdr, udphdr, icmphdr, and data tables.
And that's just in the default snort database.  I am sure there are
equivalents in the tables that ACID creates.  Whenever ACID does a join
with one of those tables, it'll still have to search through all those
cids, even though they don't have an entry in the event table.